Many pet parents feel anxious about leaving their dog at a boarding facility when they need to travel. But by following these tips from our Sacramento vets you are bound to find a great facility near you that will make your pooch feel safe and loved while you're away.
Leaving Your Dog While on Vacation
Our vets know that it can be stressful to decide on where to leave your beloved pooch while you are away from home. Whether you are heading out on vacation for a couple of weeks, or off on a business trip for a couple of days, you will need to find appropriate care for your dog. Although finding the best kennel or boarding facility for your dog can be challenging, doing a little research into the options available near you, and what features each service offers, can help to make your decision easier.
Dog Boarding Facilities
Rest assured that today's dog boarding facilities aren't the grim places they once were. These days your dog can be pampered and have fun socializing and playing while you're away. Kennels are kept clean and fresh-smelling, and dogs are treated to plenty of love and attention.
A quick google search can help you find animal boarding facilities in your area ranging from pet spas and doggie summer camps to medical boarding for dogs that require extra love and attention, with price points that range from extravagant to affordable.
If you are in the process of deciding which boarding facility to take your dog to, be sure to check out a few different places in your area to find a facility that best suits the needs of your pet, and your wallet.
Tips To Help You Choose a Boarding Facility for Your Dog
Below are a few tips to help you choose a boarding facility to meet your dog's needs:
Go Checkout The Facility Ahead of Time
- We think that one of the best ways to know what a boarding facility is like is to go for a visit. By seeing the facility for yourself and meeting the staff ahead of time you will be able to judge whether the level of cleanliness, space provided and staff meet your standards. If for any reason you don't feel good about the facility continue your search.
Ask Whether There Is a Vet On Call
- This is especially important if your dog has a health condition that requires medication or monitoring. Many boarding facilities are directly attached to veterinary clinics or have a good working relationship with a local vet. If you have a specific vet that you want to handle all of your dog's care, check to see if your vet is associated with a particular boarding facility.
Find Out What Services Are Offered
- The services offered at various dog boarding facilities vary widely from dog overnight camps and doggie spas to standard care with clean spacious runs and good quality care. If you have a high-energy dog, be sure to choose a facility that provides pups with an opportunity to get outdoors and play with other dogs so they can burn off steam.
Know The Health Requirement Well A Head of Time
- Keep your dog safe by ensuring that their vaccines and parasite protection are kept up to date, and choose a facility that only accepts healthy, fully vaccinated pets. This can help to ensure that your pup doesn't mix with sick or unvaccinated dogs, and returns home healthy.
Speak With Staff
- Whenever you call or visit a facility, the staff should be friendly and happy to answer your questions. By meeting staff in person you will be able to get a real feel for their personalities and will be better able to judge whether they seem like a good caregiver for your pooch.
Dog Boarding at South Sacramento Pet Hospital
At our Sacramento dog boarding facility we strive to give your dog a clean and comfortable home-away-from-home. Our staff members love pets and take pride in providing outstanding care to all of our four-legged visitors.
Learn More About Dog Boarding With Us